AHRC’s Public Policy Advisory Group (PPAG) provides advice on maximising the contribution arts and humanities research can make to policy making. It reports directly to AHRC’s Council.
To fulfil this purpose, and amongst other activities, PPAG:
- advises AHRC on its vision, strategy and objectives for public policy, and provides an informal assessment of its progress against those objectives
- builds stronger relationships for AHRC within government, Parliament, and devolved and local administrations
- acts as a critical friend at the proposition, planning and implementation stages of AHRC’s major public policy projects
- advises AHRC on how best to support researchers in planning and exploiting the potential policy impact of their work
- helps AHRC identify key partners and policy areas with which researchers could engage
- acts as an ambassador on the vital contribution arts and humanities research can make to public life.
- Jenny Dibden became Co-Director, Cities and Local Growth Unit in 2019. Previously, she was Director, Science, Research and Innovation at BEIS.
- Kate Allsop is Executive Mayor, Mansfield
- Hasan Bakhshi is Director, Creative Industries Policy and Evidence Centre; and Executive Director, Creative Economy and Data Analytics, Nesta.
- Ivan Collister is a PhD candidate at the Faculty of History, University of Cambridge and is a former senior civil servant.
- Professor Charles Forsdick is the James Barrow Professor of French, University of Liverpool.
- Dr Catherine Haddon is Senior Fellow at the Institute for Government.
- Dr Tim Leunig is Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and Expert Adviser to the Department for Education.
- Dame Judith Macgregor (AHRC Council member attending PPAG) is Vice Chair of the Governing Council of Southampton University, and Former British High Commissioner to South Africa, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Dr Alison Mawhinney is a Reader in Human Rights at Bangor University.
- Lord Porter of Spalding is a Member of the House of Lords, Chairman of the Local Government Association, and Leader of South Holland District Council.
- Callum Thomson is Head of Research, Communications and Public Engagement, Scottish Parliament.
- Catherine Tyack is Head of Children’s and Young People’s Mental Health, Department for Health and Social Care.
- Dr Anna Whicher is Head of Design Policy at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Last updated: 28 February 2022