UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has published its first set of harmonised diversity data for all seven research councils for the past five academic years. It will continue to publish this data annually, replacing the previous approach (PDF, 885KB) that saw councils publish individual datasets.
The dataset contains data on four protected characteristics (sex, age, ethnicity, disability) for
- Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Investigator grant applicants and awardees
- Fellowship applicants and awardees
- PhD studentship starts
For the first time, UKRI is also publishing data on award values for the different groups. In addition, it has set out to enhance its data capabilities in the future by collecting data on additional characteristics as well as through advanced forms of data analysis to better understand trends, while continuously using insights from data analysis to drive our equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) policy development.
Accessing the data
Detailed information on how the dataset was produced, interpretative guidance and a summary of findings are available in the data narrative report (PDF, 600KB).
The data can be accessed via interactive Tableau dashboards (external website). Instructions for how to use the dashboards are available in the first tab on the left at the top of the page under ‘Guidance’.
Alternatively, download the data as Excel files:
- Principal Investigators - award rate, application proportion and award proportion (Excel, 63KB)
- Principal Investigators - application amount and award value (Excel, 77KB)
- Co-Investigators - award rate, application proportion and award proportion (Excel, 65KB)
- Fellows - award rate, application proportion and award proportion (Excel, 60KB)
- Fellows - application amount and award value (Excel, 53KB)
- Future Leaders Fellowships - award rate, application proportion and award proportion (Excel, 29KB)
- Future Leaders Fellowships - application amount and award value (Excel, 29KB)
- Studentships - proportion and awardees (Excel, 50KB)
- Higher Education in Statistics Agency (HESA) staff population estimate (Excel, 32KB)
- HESA student population estimate (Excel, 38KB).
If you have questions about the data release please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be updating this page with further engagement opportunities for our communities.