The Executive Committee provides strategy advice to the UKRI Board and is the day-to-day coordinating body for UKRI executive activity. Chaired by the UKRI Chief Executive, membership includes the nine Executive Chairs and the Chief finance officer. It provides leadership to the organisation including across the collective activities of the separate Councils to ensure collaboration on strategy and operational matters.
- Chair: Sir Mark Walport - Chief Executive, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
- Emma Lindsell and Isobel Stephen - Executive Director of Strategy, UKRI
- Mike Blackburn - Chief Finance Officer, UKRI
- Professor Jennifer Rubin - Executive Chair, Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Dr Ian Campbell - Executive Chair (interim), Innovate UK
- Professor Lynn Gladden - Executive Chair, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- David Sweeney - Executive Chair, Research England
- Professor Mark Thomson, Executive Chair, Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- Professor Andrew Thompson - Executive Chair, Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Professor Fiona Watt - Executive Chair, Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Professor Melanie Welham - Executive Chair, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Professor Duncan Wingham - Executive Chair, Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
* Attends Executive Committee
The Executive Committee is supported by three sub-committees:
- People, Finance and Operations Committee provides leadership for, and overseeing, collective areas of operational strategy and policy, chaired by the Chief Finance Officer.
- Strategy Committee provides expertise and advice on the development of and implementation of UKRI’s research strategy, chaired by the Strategy Director. (The strategy committee will continue the work of the Research and Innovation Strategy and Funding Sub-Group.
- Investment Committee provides expertise, advice and assurance on major investment decisions, including assessment of business cases and the oversight of the portfolio of major projects across the organisation, chaired by the Chief Finance Office.
The executive sub-committees have delegated decision-making from the UKRI CEO (respecting principle of council subsidiarity and Executive chairs delegated responsibilities). The Chair of each committee can escalate areas of concern to the Executive Committee and may have sub-committees or groups that report into them (at their discretion).
Conflicts of Interest
- View our documents on Conflicts of Interest