The 2.4% R&D target is ambitious, but we know it is achievable. To fully explore how we achieve this increase, it is crucial that we draw upon the expertise of our communities. UKRI organised a series of workshops in partnership with our stakeholders, to explore some of the biggest questions for UKRI, and the UK research and innovation landscape more broadly over the coming years.
Each workshop gathered experts from across business, academia, policy, and research to explore key aspects of the building blocks of the 2.4% R&D target, such as:
- lessons learned from previous attempts to increase R&D investment and international comparisons;
- the role of fundamental knowledge in achieving the target, and how to maximise impact;
- what is required in the talent pipeline to achieve the target;
- how to grow the economy regionally while continuing our world-leading excellence in research and innovation; and
- how to enhance the UK business environment for R&D.
For each workshop, a short summary of the discussion and delegate list can be found below. Workshop outputs are being used to develop our evidence base and inform our policy and analysis work.
- 12 October 2018 Business environment: how to drive business investment summary (PDF, 252KB)
- 15 October 2018 People: talent pipeline for an R&D intensive economy summary (PDF, 261KB)
- 16 October 2018 Ideas: how to maximise impact summary (PDF, 263KB)
- 15 November 2018 2.4% target: international dimensions summary (PDF, 254KB)
- 28 Nov 2018 2.4% target – historical lessons learned and international comparisons summary (PDF, 161KB)
- 29 November 2018 2.4% target: how to drive business investment summary (PDF, 257KB)
Workshops are ongoing, and this page will be updated with further summaries as they become available.