The translational research group (TRG) is responsible for ensuring strong continued support for translational research across the MRC. We support translational research across our funding boards and panels, through partnerships with other funders and major higher education institutions and through dedicated funding schemes.
Areas of particular focus for TRG include:
- The MRC impact acceleration accounts scheme, supporting academically led feasibility research at the institutional level.
- The developmental pathway funding scheme, supporting translation of fundamental discoveries toward benefits to human health.
- The better methods, better research panel, in partnership with the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
- The experimental medicine panel supports interventional, mechanistic studies in humans.
- Coordination with the MRC-NIHR Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation Programme (EME) programme and other NIHR funding schemes to ensure suitable projects progress to late-stage trials.
Membership from 1 April 2022
- Professor Anna Dominiczak (chair), Regis Professor of Medicine, Vice-Principal and
- Head of College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow
- Professor John Isaacs, Institute of Cellular Medicine Musculoskeletal Research Group, Newcastle University
- Professor Peter Parker, The Francis Crick Institute
- Dr Gillian Burgess, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Professor Ian Kimber, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester
- Dr John Shields, Director, JGSbiopharma Ltd
- Professor Ian Greer, President and Vice Chancellor, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Simon Hollingsworth, Astrazeneca
- Professor John Girkin, Department of Physics, Durham University
- Dr Ken Sutherland, Canon Medical Research Europe Ltd
- Dr Kenji Takada, Microsoft Research Cambridge
- Professor Jonathan Seckl, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Danny McAuley, Queen’s University Belfast
See the translational research group conflicts of interest register.
Dr Suzanne Rix, Programme Manager for Translational Research (TRG Secretariat)
Dr Louise Jones, Head of Translational Research
Last updated: 25 May 2022