UKRI Terms and Conditions
Most new employees into UKRI with a start date post 1 April 2018 will be subject to the employment terms and conditions listed below on this page.
Additionally staff that transferred into UKRI may be subject to these terms if they meet the circumstance in which the new terms will be applied. For further information on this please refer to Circumstances under which UKRI Terms and Conditions & Pay System will be applied.
If there is any doubt which terms apply to you, please refer to your local UKRI HR team for further advice.
- Legacy terms for staff that transferred from the research councils can be found here.
- Legacy terms for staff that transferred from HEFCE can be found here.
- Legacy terms for staff that transferred from Innovate UK can be found here.
- For staff that have transferred from Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) please refer to your local HR team for further advice.
Many of these terms are a continuation of those that originally applied to research council employees. UKRI is a new organisation which replaces the Research Councils and as UKRI is still in the process of updating the below terms to reflect this, where there is a reference to Research Council this should be read as a reference to UKRI.
- Acceptable use of ICT Systems and Services Policy (PDF, 186KB)
- Annual Leave Policy (PDF, 146KB)
- Appraisal and Personal Development Review Policy (PDF, 93KB)
- Capability Policy (PDF, 91KB)
- Career Breaks and Sabbaticals Policy (PDF, 210KB)
- Code of Conduct Policy (PDF, 116KB)
- Counter Fraud and Bribery Policy (PDF, 494KB)
- Damage to or Loss of Personal Property (PDF, 77KB)
- Disciplinary Policy (PDF, 99KB)
- Employee Intellectual Property, Consultancy Work and Conflicts of Interest Policy (PDF, 75KB)
- Equality and Diversity Policy (PDF, 37KB)
- Equality and Diversity Guidance for Research Funding (PDF, 45KB)
- Field/Mobile Working Policy (PDF, 391KB)
- Flexible Working Policy (PDF, 241KB)
- Foster Care Guidance (PDF, 35KB)
- Grievance Policy (PDF, 69KB)
- Guidance on ending Fixed-Term appointments (PDF, 84KB)
- Guidance on Supporting Transgender Employees in the Workplace (PDF, 32KB)
- Guidance on Working Arrangements in the event of adverse weather (PDF, 62KB)
- Guidance for Staff Undergoing Fertility Treatment (PDF, 37KB)
- Guidance on Managing Bereavement in the Workplace (PDF, 40KB)
- Harassment and Bullying Policy (PDF, 93KB)
- Health and Safety Policy (PDF, 392KB)
- Health Promotion Policy (PDF, 80KB)
- Home Working Guidance (PDF, 138KB)
- Investigating Allegations of Misconduct in Research Policy (PDF, 555KB)
- Learning and Development Policy (PDF, 90KB)
- Maternity Adoptive Maternity Support Parental Leave Policy (PDF, 112KB)
- Mobility Policy (PDF, 23KB)
- Notice Period Policy (PDF, 18KB)
- Pay and Reward Policy and Guidance (PDF, 162KB)
- Personal Use of Social Media Policy (PDF, 63KB)
- Prevention of Illegal Working (PDF, 612KB)
- Probation Policy (PDF, 54KB)
- Recruitment and Selection Policy (PDF, 16KB)
- Redundancy Policy Framework (PDF, 54KB)
- Relocation Policy (PDF, 21KB)
- Retirement Policy (PDF, 112KB)
- Sickness Absence Management Policy (PDF, 208KB)
- Special leave Policy (PDF, 37KB)
- Temporary Promotion Policy (PDF, 47KB)
- Trade Union Recognition Agreement (PDF, 564KB)
- Transfers and Secondments Policy (PDF, 29KB)
- Travel Subsistence and Expenses Policy (PDF, 124KB)
- Unauthorised or Unplanned Absence Policy (PDF, 79KB)
- Volunteering Guidance (PDF, 65KB)
- Whistleblowing Policy (PDF, 61KB)
- Working Time Policy (PDF, 19KB)
Beyond the employment terms and conditions listed, some councils have specific additional policies and guidance documents relevant for that council.
- For AHRC, ESRC, EPSRC and NERC please see the UK SBS Knowledgebase HR policies webpage*.
- For BBSRC please see the BBSRC Employment Code webpage.
- For MRC please see the MRC National Trade Union Side website.
- For STFC please see Conditions of Employment Memoranda webpage*.
- All Innovate UK and Research England policies are listed on other parts of the external UKRI website.
Any doubt which policy refers to you, please contact your relevant HR team.
*Please note the Knowledgebase and Conditions of Employment Memoranda Webpages are intranet sites and may only available for the relevant council staff to access them.