Circumstances under which UKRI Terms and Conditions & pay system will be applied
Where an employee is voluntarily enacting a change in circumstances that requires a new contract, that contract will include the new UKRI terms and conditions (T&C’s) and pay system. Where the employer is enforcing the change that requires a new contract, new UKRI T&C’s and pay system will not be applied. The below indicates scenarios where new T&C’s and pay system apply and where they don’t. These lists are not intended to be exhaustive and any scenarios not listed should be tested against the general principle.
All new employees will only be offered employment based on the new T&C’s and pay system, with exception of specific Centre, Institute or Units (CIU’s) who may have opted out of this arrangement and specific roles associated to particular councils. For detail on CIU opt in arrangements see the section on Centres, Institutes and Units. For detail on specific roles see the section on Specific Roles in Councils.
To note; new apprentices into STFC will be in scope for the new UKRI T&C’s and subject to the Pay Policy but will be on a separate pay scale system from the main.
The below indicates a range of scenarios where employment will only be offered subject to new UKRI T&C’s and pay systems for transferred employees:
- permanent promotion to a higher band, whether as a result of personal/merit promotion or structural promotion (applying for a new job), where the employee has chosen to apply for promotion
- acceptance of job offers where the employee has effected the change (e.g., applied for level transfer)
- rehire (e.g. , re-employment of former UKRI employee with a break of service).
The following changes will not trigger a move to the new T&C’s and pay system:
- permanent promotion, as a result of grading review, which has been triggered by the employer
- permanent promotion, as a result of a personal promotion scheme where the employee has a contractual right to a promotion based on existing Terms and Conditions (e.g, graduates and apprentices on an employee scheme that ensures a grade movement on completion as part of the scheme arrangements)
- extension of existing fixed term contract
- change from fixed term to open-ended contract
- on return from career breaks and sabbaticals
- new fixed term contract (e.g. for another job – where there is no break in service) at the same or lower grade (grades above will be considered as promotions)
- change of hours
- move to other form of flexible working
- temporary promotion
- redeployment as a direct result of the UKRI transformation (arising from the setting up of UKRI and the transfers into UKRI of the relevant Councils) or other redundancy situations that may arise
- those returning from family leave (maternity, adoption, etc.)
- extensions to fixed term contracts where no new contract is issued
- in band salary movement (MRC only).
Transferred employees retain their current pension arrangement in all circumstances.
Only two councils have centres, institutes and unit’s, MRC and NERC.
All MRC institutes and units will remain out of scope for new UKRI terms and pay and will remain on their legacy arrangements. This does not include MRC head office, who are subject to the circumstances above.
- The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) and British Geological Survey (BGS) have opted in and subject to the circumstances above.
- The National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) will remain out of scope for new UKRI terms and pay and will remain on their legacy arrangements
The following roles can be considered ring fenced from the new UKRI pay system only and any new or existing employees in these roles (regardless of circumstances) will not take up the new UKRI pay but will still be subject to the new UKRI T&C’s subject to the circumstances above:
- Innovation Leads (Innovate UK)
- Senior Innovation Leads (Innovate UK)
- Directors, Deputy Directors and Heads of Function (Business Innovation Programme areas, Development and Innovation Finance - Innovate UK)
- Programme/Portfolio Managers (Business Innovation Programme areas, Competitions, Development and Innovation Finance - Innovate UK)
- Communication and engagement roles interfacing directly with business (Innovate UK).
The following roles can be considered ring fenced from both the new UKRI T&C’s and pay system and any new or existing employees in these roles (regardless of circumstances) will not take up the new UKRI T&C’s and pay:
- Mariners (NERC)
- Pilots (NERC)
- Antarctic Staff (NERC).