5. Ethics and approvals - MRC


5.11 Controlled drugs

Applicants whose proposed research requires the use of drugs controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and its subsequent amendments, must seek a Home Office licence directly through the host institution’s normal channels.

Researchers should refer to the Psychoactive Substances Act: guidance for researchers to ensure they comply with the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016.

Please also refer to 5.4 interventional research involving people as participants and 5.4.1 clinical trials of investigational medicinal products, including advanced therapies.

Last updated: 22 June 2022

This is the integrated website of the seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK.
Let us know if you have feedback or would like to help us test new developments.