Peacebuilding and Resilience in an era of global health challenges: a bilateral research call to enhance understanding and support for mental health challenges in Colombia
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and the Science, Technology and Innovation Projects CTeI of national affairs (Minciencias) are pleased to announce a bilateral call between researchers in the UK and Colombia. This call invites internationally competitive and cross disciplinary research projects, that aim to enhance the evidence base on understanding and addressing the mental health challenges facing post-conflict societies in Colombia.
Where possible, research activities should be co-designed with people with lived experiences, community and health practitioners and other social actors in order to gain a deeper understanding from differing perspectives.
The call is structured around four overarching themes:
- Mental health conditions, including; post-traumatic stress disorder and co-morbid conditions such as depression and anxiety
- Substance misuse and dependence
- Gender and interpersonal violence
- Mental health care systems and services
Funding will be available to support up to 9 joint research projects, for up to 36 months. UKRI will support a UK contribution of £3m to this call, with an equivalent level of match resource (COP $4.5b) being made by the Colombian funder, Minciencias. UK applications can request up to £333,000 (80% fEC). The Colombian component of each project may receive up to COP $483,000,000.
The UKRI component of this call will be funded through the Newton Fund. UKRI funding for this call will be awarded to proposals that fit within Official ODA Guidelines; research outcomes and impacts that clearly demonstrate a primary purpose to improve Colombia’s economic development and the welfare of its most vulnerable.
How to apply
For UK applications, please refer to the following additional documents in preparation for submission:
- Call specification (PDF, 237KB)
- Je-S guidance (PDF, 385KB)
- FAQ for Newton Funding (PDF, 252KB)
- Ethics addendum (PDF, 199KB)
- MRC Ethics Template and Human Participation Form (Word, 143KB)
- International funding agencies resources form (Word, 123KB)
UUKi partnership service available until 3 August
To help with partnership development, the funders are using Universities UK international (UUKi) to help match researchers in Colombia and the UK. UUKi maintains a database of UK researchers who are interested in being contacted by UUKi, should a relevant Newton partner request be received.
Any UK academics interested in being contacted by UUKi in the event that a relevant partnership opportunity arises should complete this form.
UK researchers may also wish to consult UUKi's Opportunities for Collaboration webpage for details of proposed Newton projects seeking a UK partner.
Notification of Intent deadline 3 August
The UK application should be submitted through the Research Councils’ Joint electronic Submission (Je-S) System.
The Colombian application should be submitted through Minciencias grants system, following the instructions in their call document.
A UK-based lead Principle Investigator and a Colombian-based Principle Investigator should be identified– each of whom will lead on interaction with the funding agency in their respective countries.
The UK based PI should ensure the application is submitted via the Je-S system. If the UK application comes from multiple institutions, then the application should be made on a single Je-S form from the UK-based PI’s host institution.
The Colombia based PI will apply through Minciencias system and follow their guidelines.
The following Je-S attachments should also be included as an identical copy in your Colombian application; case for support, justification of resources, CVs, workplan, international funding agencies resources form.
- Deadline for the Notification of Intent to Submit- 12.00 GMT (midday) 3 August 2020
- Deadline for UUKi partnership service- 3 August 2020
- Deadline for UK proposals – 16.00h GMT on 27 August 2020
- Panel meeting – 23/24 September 2020
- Funding decision – November 2020
- Colombian grant start date- from December 2020
- UK grant start date – before February 2021
- UKRI Case officer: Alexa Mills
- UUKi partnership service for UK academic looking a Colombian partner
- UUKi partnership service for Colombian academic looking for a UK partner
- Minciencias: http://www.minciencias.gov.co/ciudadano/canal-pqrds
Please put the call title in the subject line of the enquiry box