Stephen Hawking Fellowships
Call documentation for round 2 of the Stephen Hawking Fellowships will be published later here later in Spring 2020.
The Stephen Hawking fellowships will support and develop the next generation of visionary scientists in theoretical physics at the beginning of their career. UKRI are providing funding for five annual calls delivered jointly by EPSRC and STFC.
In recognition of Stephen Hawking’s exceptional contributions to scientific knowledge and popularisation of science, UK Research and Innovation will support and develop the next generation of visionary scientists in theoretical physics and areas of mathematics and computer sciences which underpin and contribute to the development of theoretical physics at the beginning of their careers through this new funding opportunity. Up to £15 million will be available for up to five annual calls for these fellowships, between 2019 and 2024 with each call to looking fund up to 10 fellowships.
The fellowships will provide up to 4 years’ funding for fellows with a strong passion for curiosity driven science that seek to challenge current assumptions, advance scientific knowledge and inspire the public through their discoveries. The funding will support fellows to engage in training on public engagement and scientific communication to develop the skills to explain complex scientific ideas to wider audiences and with the aim of continuing Stephen Hawking’s work in bringing science into popular culture.
The objectives of the scheme are:
- To fund new high quality research and support the development and training of postdoctoral researchers in the field of theoretical physics.
- To train a cohort of researchers with the skills to continue a legacy of public engagement in the field of theoretical physics.
Chief Executive of UK Research and Innovation, Professor Sir Mark Walport said:
“Professor Hawking combined a fierce desire for knowledge with a rare ability for communicating both the wonder of our universe and the value in understanding it. The Stephen Hawking Fellowship will continue his legacy by supporting a new generation of scientists too push the boundaries of knowledge and inspire the public with their discoveries.”
For further information related to the Stephen Hawking Fellowship please contact: EPSRC fellowship inbox:
- STFC fellowship inbox: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- George Adams, Portfolio Manager (EPSRC). Email: email@example.com or telephone: 01793 44 4437 or and;
- Caroline Sweeting, Portfolio Manager (STFC). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01793 442019.