Open access block grants
In 2013, the first block grants were issued by the Research Councils to research organisations that were in receipt of research council funding, to enable them to comply with the former RCUK policy on open access. The Research Councils’ open access block grants will continue until 2019/20, with grants paid in quarterly instalments. A set of Frequently Asked Questions for the 2018/19 Open Access Block Grants (PDF, 86KB) is available.
Research Council open access reporting
All Research Organisations (ROs) funded by the Research Councils are required to report annually on their compliance with the Research Councils’ Policy on Open Access.
In addition, all ROs in receipt of Open Access block grants are required to provide details of how this funding has been spent.
ROs not currently in receipt of a block grant are also invited to provide information on their costs in supporting the implementation of the RCUK Policy on Open Access.
The reporting template and guidance are available below:
The deadline for 2018-19 reports was 31 May 2018.
Analysis of block grant data
This analysis summarises the information that the Research Councils has collected as part of the ongoing financial and compliance monitoring of the RCUK Policy on Open Access.
For the first reporting period, which covered the period April 2013- July 2014, the Research Councils did not collect individual article level APC data but for the subsequent reporting periods this information was collected and is reported on within.
- RCUK APC Returns Analysis (PDF, 655KB)
- RCUK APC Data (2014 - 2016) (Excel, 2.6MB) (CSV (CSV, 4.7MB))
Block grant awards
Information on previous awards to Research Organisations:
- 2013-2014 and 2014-15 block grant awards (PDF, 376KB)
- 2015-2016 block grant awards (PDF, 72KB)
- 2016-2017 block grant awards (PDF, 230KB)
- 2017-2018 block grant awards – part one payments (PDF, 231KB)
- 2017-2018 block grant awards – part two payments (PDF, 231KB)
- 2018-2019 block grant awards (PDF, 71KB)