The UK is the best place in the world to do research, innovate and grow business. Innovation is the application of knowledge or ideas for the development of products, services or processes – whether in business, public services, or non-profit sectors. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is central to delivering research and innovation for economic growth and societal impact.
We work to drive innovation and maximise the impact of our research investments to develop new ways of living, doing business and growing economies. We create the right environments by working with a range of partners - in particular universities and businesses, the funding councils and government departments. As a result of this engagement, our research community are more likely to work with business than those funded through any other route.
The outcomes of our research and innovation helps maximise the potential impact of our portfolio and drive the future prosperity of the UK.
We support innovation through a variety of activities:
- training skilled people and supporting their movement within the economy
- developing collaborative research programmes
- investing in major research capabilities
- supporting businesses to realise the potential of new technologies, develop ideas and make them a commercial success.
- supporting impact-related capabilities such as Innovation and Knowledge Centres and Research and Innovation Campuses.
A major activity for UKRI is the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund which aims to bring together the UK’s world-leading research with business to meet the major industrial and societal challenges of our time.
We are a source of ideas, knowledge, expertise, skills and research infrastructure for business.