The latest updates from UK Research and Innovation can be found below.
See news from our councils for the latest updates from our partner organisations.
Please sign up to our weekly newsletter to keep up to date:
For press enquiries, please contact the UKRI Communications Team on:
Tel: 01793 234136
- 08 November 2018
- Impact and breadth of UK-China collaboration on show at China launch of UK Research and Innovation
UK Research and Innovation celebrates its China launch this week with events in Beijing, Shanghai, London and Swindon covering the breadth of UKRI’s activities and objectives
- 06 November 2018
- New tech centres aim to save lives
Five new technology centres based across the UK will work on ways to save lives using artificial intelligence (AI) and other technologies, it was announced today (6 November).
- 01 November 2018
- UKRI leader appointed to Industrial Strategy Council
Professor Jennifer Rubin will join leading figures from academia, business and civil society on a new body to evaluate the success of the government’s modern Industrial Strategy.
- 29 October 2018
- General Data Protection Regulation guidance for researchers
UK Research and Innovation has provided some guidance on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for researchers of all disciplines.
- 25 October 2018
- Together for Impact: UK Research and Innovation launched in India
The formal launch of UK Research and Innovation in India has been marked with a series of events highlighting the long-standing and successful history of collaboration between the two nations.
- 24 October 2018
- UKRI strengthens African partnership
UK Research and Innovation and the African Research Universities Alliance have signed a Memorandum of Agreement.
- 22 October 2018
- Collaboration vital to tackle climate change, conflict and food security
A workshop taking place this week, 22-23 October, aims to find research solutions to the detrimental impact of the combination of conflict and climate change.
- 19 October 2018
- UKRI signs international development safeguarding statement
UK Research and Innovation is one of five UK funders of international development research to have signed a statement of commitment to prevent and tackle harm and abuse in research for international development.
- 19 October 2018
- UK Research and Innovation launches major programmes to tackle climate change and drive clean growth
Leading research teams will join businesses and government departments to tackle the impacts of climate change on our towns and cities and the countryside.
- 17 October 2018
- Coffee waste could be turned into electricity
Polluting waste generated during coffee production has been turned into electricity for the first time, scientists have revealed.
- 16 October 2018
- Year of Engineering: global food security
From plants grown from mattresses in refugee camps, to breeding greener cows, engineering plays a key role in global food security.
- 15 October 2018
- Green Great Britain Week
We look back at a successful week of events to raise awareness of the ambitious actions needed to tackle climate change and drive clean growth.
- 08 October 2018
- New report explores fair and equitable global research partnerships
UK Research and Innovation welcomes the publication of a new report looking at how research organisations can enable fair and equitable partnerships between researchers across the global North and South working to addresses the challenges faced by developing countries.
- 04 October 2018
- Winners announced for new creative industries centre of excellence
A new £10 million centre will develop cutting-edge creative training and research programmes in immersive storytelling to ensure the UK creative workforce is the most skilled in the world in the use of virtual, augmented and mixed reality technologies.
- 03 October 2018
- UKRI congratulates Nobel Prize-winning scientist
UK Research and Innovation would like to congratulate Professor Sir Gregory Winter after the pioneering researcher was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- 03 October 2018
- New Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund directors appointed
UK Research and Innovation has today announced the appointment of a further two Challenge Directors who will lead work on the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF).
- 27 September 2018
- New UKRI system needs community input on Horizon 2020 grants
A new system is being rolled out as a first step towards supporting the continuity of funding for UK organisations which have been awarded grants from the European Union’s flagship programme for science and innovation.
- 27 September 2018
- Addressing major societal challenges by harnessing government data
Combined data from across government and hundreds of UK public bodies will be used to improve healthcare, education, business growth and the fight against crime by making it available to world-leading research teams.
- 18 September 2018
- Professor Tim Wheeler, appointed UK Research and Innovation Director for International
Following an external and highly competitive process, UKRI is pleased to announce that Professor Tim Wheeler has been appointed as UKRI’s new Director for International.
- 13 September 2018
- External Advisory Group to help shape UKRI's equality, diversity and inclusion agenda
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has announced the appointment of 11 members to a new External Advisory Group for equality, diversity and inclusion.