The latest updates from UK Research and Innovation can be found below.
See news from our councils for the latest updates from our partner organisations.
Please sign up to our weekly newsletter to keep up to date:
For press enquiries, please contact the UKRI Communications Team on:
Tel: 01793 234136
- 05 September 2018
- Year of Engineering – Back to School
Engineering research continues to find ways to improve the school environment, from creating a sustainable classroom building, to taking a closer look at what causes chicken pox.
- 05 September 2018
- UK Research and Innovation and the Office for Students sign collaboration agreement
UK Research and Innovation and the Office for Students (OfS) have signed a collaboration agreement confirming how the two organisations work together on shared priorities across research and teaching.
- 04 September 2018
- UK Research and Innovation joins Europe-wide ambition on open access
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), joined funders from across Europe to launch cOAlition S, a collective declaration of a commitment to open access publishing in academia.
- 29 August 2018
- Two new Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund directors appointed
Two new directors have been appointed by UK Research and Innovation to lead challenges announced as part of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
- 24 August 2018
- Je-S service now available
The Joint Electronic Submissions (Je-S) service is now available again following the recent outage.
- 23 August 2018
- UKRI joins international collaboration on Artificial Intelligence
UKRI is joining research organisations in Canada and France to host a series of international workshops examining the social and ethical implications of Artificial Intelligence.
- 23 August 2018
- Joint Electronic Submissions (Je-S) service unavailable
The Joint Electronic Submissions (Je-S) service is currently unavailable due to a hardware fault.
This is being investigated as a priority and we apologise for any inconvenience.
- 23 August 2018
- Horizon 2020 underwrite guarantee update
The government has updated its information for UK applicants to Horizon 2020, the European Union’s flagship programme for science and innovation.
- 22 August 2018
- Summer of Engineering – Being on holiday
From drones helping the fight against malaria, to slow-melting ice cream, engineering research continues to find ways to improve your summer holidays.
- 16 August 2018
- UK participation in Horizon 2020: UK government overview
The government has published updated information for UK applicants to Horizon 2020, the EU’s flagship programme for science and innovation.
- 14 August 2018
- Wheat's hidden genetic secrets revealed
An international research team have uncovered the hidden genetic secrets that give wheat its remarkable ability for local adaptation - revealing a previously untapped resource for breeding better, more resilient wheat.
- 13 August 2018
- Transforming Food Production
The first funding from a £90 million fund that aims to revolutionise how food is produced and dramatically reduce its environmental impact launches later this month.
- 10 August 2018
- Chancellor announces funding for Catapult network
Chancellor Philip Hammond has announced £780 million of funding to expand Catapult centres developing a range of cutting edge new technologies across the UK.
- 08 August 2018
- Summer of Engineering – Going on holiday
Throughout 2018, UK Research and Innovation is marking the Year of Engineering, a government campaign to celebrate the world of engineering and its impact.
- 01 August 2018
- New salmon food to relieve marine sources
Atlantic salmon in Scotland will be fed a new fish feed produced from GM plants to help relieve pressure on stressed marine sources.
- 30 July 2018
- UKRI appoints Director of External Relations, Communications and Public Engagement
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has appointed Katrina Nevin-Ridley as its Director of External Relations, Communications and Public Engagement. Ms Nevin-Ridley brings a wealth of communications experience from across the research and innovation sector to lead UKRI’s extensive communications and public engagement programmes.
- 26 July 2018
- New projects mark continuation of UK-India research partnership
Sam Gyimah and Indian Minister of State for Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan announced projects managed by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and collaborators in India during the biennial Science and Innovation Council meeting.
- 18 July 2018
- UK-Canada collaboration to build on research and innovation strengths
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate the delivery of collaborative, jointly-funded research and innovation programmes.
- 16 July 2018
- Hull of polar research ship RRS Sir David Attenborough launched
The state-of-the-art new polar research ship, RRS Sir David Attenborough, was launched into the River Mersey for the first time on 14 July, marking a major milestone in the preparation of the vessel.
- 09 July 2018
- UK Research and Innovation at ESOF 2018
Leading UK research will be showcased to thousands of delegates as part of Europe’s largest interdisciplinary science meeting this week.