New international development research programme announced
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is today announcing (10 December) the ‘GCRF Collective Programme’. This new programme will bring together a wide range of researchers from across the UK and developing countries to generate innovative solutions to intractable development issues and contribute to enabling healthier and safer lives, sustainable development and prosperity for all.
This new Programme, is part of the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), a £1.5 billion fund announced by the UK Government in 2015, designed to stimulate research on the challenges faced by developing countries. GCRF forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment.
The UKRI GCRF Collective Programme, will consist of a series of calls designed to enhance the overall impact across the six strategic GCRF Challenge portfolios in global health, education, sustainable cities, food systems, conflict and displacement, and resilience. Research across these areas is contributing to realising the ambitions of the UK Government’s aid strategy and progressing the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The individual Programme calls will be officially launched throughout 2019. These calls will be:
Cities and Sustainable Infrastructure
- GCRF (Re)thinking the off-grid city
- GCRF Sustainable energy and international development: beyond technology
- GCRF Education as a driver of sustainable development Network Plus
- GCRF Education in conflict and crisis research
- GCRF Education Interventions for Early Childhood Development
- GCRF Cultures and histories of agriculture, food, and nutrition
- GCRF A combined Food Systems approach to developing interventions to address the Double Burden of Malnutrition
- GCRF Health and Communities
Resilience to Environmental Shocks and Change
- GCRF Equitable Resilience: ensuring resilience enhances the Sustainable Development Goals
- GCRF Multiple and systemic Risks
Security Protracted Conflict, Refugee Crises and Forced Displacement
- GCRF Development-based approaches to Protracted Displacement
- GCRF Preventing Conflict, Building Sustainable and Inclusive Peace
- GCRF Protection in Contexts of Conflict and Displacement
Calls that cut across the portfolios
- GCRF Coherence Grants
- GCRF Gender and Intersectionality Network Plus
- GCRF Global Engagement Networks
A number of call pre-announcements will be published this week. The programme is being delivered by UKRI with additional GCRF delivery partners and the Department for International Development involved in some individual calls.
For more information about the GCRF Collective Programme and individual call announcements, visit the GCRF Collective Programme web page.
Please sign up to our weekly newsletter to keep up to date: