Science Minister announces non-executive Board members of UK Research and Innovation
The 12 non-executive members of the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Board have today (28 September 2017) been announced by Science Minister, Jo Johnson.
Over the coming months the Board will work with the UKRI Chair, Chief Executive and the executive team to ensure the successful formation and launch of UKRI, as well as the strategic direction of the organisation. This will include advising the Secretary of State on the allocation of research and innovation budgets, including the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
Science Minister, Jo Johnson said:
"UKRI has a pivotal role in our future as a knowledge economy. This is an exceptionally strong board that will ensure the UK’s world leading research system stays at the frontier of science and innovation for decades to come."
Sir John Kingman, interim UKRI Chair said:
"UKRI's Board brings together an extraordinary array of brilliant scientific and business leaders. Together with the emerging executive team led by Mark Walport, we will be superbly equipped to ensure the new organisation delivers on the great opportunities it has."
A key task for the Board will be to ensure the strengths of the Research Councils, Innovate UK and Research England are preserved and built upon, and maximise the value and benefits from the government's investment of over £6 billion per year in research and innovation.
The members of the Board are:
- Sir John Kingman (interim Chair of UKRI) - Legal and General Group Chairman and former Second Permanent Secretary to HM Treasury
- Sir Peter Bazalgette - founder of an independent TV production company and Executive Chairman of ITV
- Professor Julia Black - Pro Director for Research at the London School of Economics
- Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz - Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge (until end of September 2017) and Chair of Cancer Research UK
- Lord John Browne of Madingley - Executive Chairman of L1 Energy, and former Chief Executive of BP plc
- Professor Sir Ian Diamond - Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen
- Fiona Driscoll (Chair of UKRI Audit Committeer) - Chair of the Audit Committee of Nuffield Health
- Professor Alice Gast - President of Imperial College London
- Sir Harpal Kumar - Chief Executive of Cancer Research UK
- Professor Max Lu - President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Surrey
- Vivienne Parry - Head of Engagement for Genomics England
- Mustafa Suleyman - co-founder and Head of Applied AI at DeepMind
- Lord David Willetts - Executive Chair of the Resolution Foundation and former Minister for Universities and Science
- Professor Dame Sally Davies - Chief Medical Officer
(As a serving civil servant, Dame Sally will not formally be a member of the Board but will join meetings in a personal capacity.)