Associate Director of Programmes
Gary Grubb has been Associate Director of Programmes at the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) since April 2008. A human/historical geographer by background, he previously worked for 17 years at the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), where he played a leading role in developing its environment and education research portfolios. Since joining AHRC he has worked on a wide range of initiatives including the Connected Communities Programme, AHRC’s Heritage Priority Area and themes such as Care for the Future and Science in Culture as well as on ‘Discovery research’.
Gary’s current AHRC work is focused on developing internationally collaborative and interdisciplinary research in the arts and humanities and its contribution to wider UKRI research agendas. He leads the development of AHRC’s international development activities under the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) and Newton Fund and on wider global sustainable development agendas. He also leads on AHRC’s support for international collaboration and international partnerships, including partnerships in Europe, the Americas, Asia and beyond including cross-UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) international partnerships and AHRC-led activities supported through the Fund for International Collaboration.
Gary is one of four Associate Directors of Programmes in AHRC and his remit covers:
- AHRC’s international development and Official Development Assistance (ODA) activities, including those supported through the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) and Newton Fund
- AHRC’s support for international collaboration and international partnerships, including both multi- and bi-lateral agreements and initiatives in Europe, the Americas, Asia and other parts of the world
- International interdisciplinary working, including agendas related to AHRC’s Delivery Plan priority on Global Engagement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Activities across the remits of AHRC’s International Development and Area Studies and International Engagement Teams
- Shared responsibility for AHRC’s ‘Discovery Research’ priority area.
Last updated: 15 February 2022