Technology Touching Life
Technology Touching Life (TTL) is a BBSRC, EPSRC and MRC joint initiative to foster interdisciplinary research into innovative and potentially disruptive technological capabilities that will drive world-leading basic discovery research in the health and life sciences.
Developing the next generation of advanced life sciences tools will require engineering and physical sciences (EPS) researchers working in partnership with health and life sciences (HLS) researchers.
TTL research will have:
- a focus on research into the development of novel techniques and technologies based on new advances in fundamental engineering and physical sciences
- clear identification of appropriate health and/or life sciences research challenges that technology would help address in the short-medium term
- ideas co-developed between physical science/engineering and life science researchers, delivering a step change in technology and research capabilities, with due consideration of EPS enabling approaches and life science research drivers
- careful consideration of ‘pathways to impact’ to ensure technologies are relevant to end users and opportunities for testing, dissemination and translation (for example, commercialisation) are explored.
For further information on the strategy and scope of TTL please see the Strategic Framework.
Implementation and delivery of the TTL initiative will occur via a range of approaches and mechanisms, including:
- TTL workshops and national networks
- Supporting research programmes of different scales through responsive/standard mode. See Information for applicants.
For all queries regarding the TTL initiative please contact:
Or you can contact individual leads here:
EPSRC Senior Portfolio Manager
Dr Lisa Coles
EPSRC Portfolio Manager
Dr Luke Boldock
MRC Senior Programme Manager
Dr Karen Brakspear
BBSRC Strategy and Policy Manager
Dr Peter Burlinson