Newton RCUK-CONICYT Broadening Impact Call
Please note, this call was run by the former RCUK and is now closed. Funded projects can be found below.
Projects funded under the Newton RCUK-CONICYT Broadening Impact call: Energy-Food-Water-Environment Nexus
|Project title||UK Principal Investigator||UK Research Organisation||Chilean Principal Investigator||Chilean Research Organisation||Lead Research Council|
|Sustainable Fruit farming In the CAatinga: managing ecosystem service trade-offs as agriculture intensifies (SUFICA)||Dr Lynn Dicks||University of East Anglia||Dr Eduardo Arellano||Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile||BBSRC|
|Making soil erosion understandable and governable at the river basin scale for food, water and hydropower sustainability in Latin America||Professor William Blake||University of Plymouth||Dr Claudio Bravo||Universidad Austral de Chile||NERC|
|NEXus Thinking for sustainable AGricultural development in Andean countries (NEXT-AG)||Dr Dolores Rey Vicario||Cranfield University||Professor Oscar Melo||
Research Councils UK (RCUK) and National Commission for Scientific Research and Technology (CONICYT) are pleased to invited applications to the Newton RCUK-CONICYT Broadening Impact Call 2017.
This initiative will provide funding for internationally competitive, transformative and high-quality collaborative research projects between UK, Chilean and other Latin American DAC list country researchers which contribute to the economic development and welfare of developing countries in Latin America.
We invite proposals which address the theme: Energy-Food-Water-Environment Nexus. Recognising the multidisciplinary nature of the thematic area, the development of interdisciplinary collaborations is particularly welcomed.
The Newton Fund requires that the UK funding is awarded in a manner that fits with ODA guidelines. All applications under this call must therefore be compliant with Official Development Assistance (ODA) guidance (PDF, 100KB) and demonstrate this compliance within the written proposal.
Due to Chile’s graduation from the DAC list this year, and as a condition of the Newton Fund and ODA requirements, the projects should focus on the application of Chilean and UK expertise to address wider global development challenges. The outputs of the research must be transferable to other DAC list countries.
Consortia should consider how their proposal makes the best use of available expertise in the UK, Chile and other Latin American DAC list countries, the added value of collaboration and how the proposal will meet the ODA requirements of this Newton Fund activity.
RCUK- CONICYT proposals must be submitted by the UK Research Organisation using the Research Councils’ Joint Electronic Submission system (Je-S). The call will be open in Je-S from Friday 14th July 2017.
For this call, you must complete an intention to submit form. Please note if you do not submit an intention to submit form by the deadline you will not be allowed to apply at full stage. You should complete your intention to submit and submit it via smart survey by the deadline. Please note the deadline has now been extended to 16:00 BST (11:00am CLT) on Friday 18 August 2017.
The call deadline is by 16:00 BST (11:00 am CLT) on Tuesday 3 October 2017. The call will close in the Je-S system at 16:00 and it will no longer be possible to submit an application after this time.
- Call opens in Je-S system- Friday 14 July 2017
- Closing date for intention to submit – 16:00 BST (11:00am CLT) Friday 18 August 2017
- Closing date for full stage proposals - 16:00 BST (11:00am CLT) Tuesday 3 October 2017
- RCUK and CONICYT Joint Panel Meeting - Week commencing 5 March 2018
- Decisions announced – By April 2018
- Grants commence – By 14 May 2018
- Call specification (PDF, 154KB)
- Official Development Assistance (ODA) guidance (PDF, 100KB) - The Newton Fund requires that the UK funding is awarded in a manner that fits with ODA guidelines. All applications under this call must therefore be compliant with these guidelines and demonstrate this compliance within the written proposal.
- Application Guidance (PDF, 300KB)
- Intention to Submit (Word, 21KB)
- Case for Support Template (PDF, 404KB)
- Justification of Resources Template (PDF, 367KB)
- Chilean Costs Proforma (PDF, 357KB)
- Chilean Institutional Support Letter Template (PDF, 236KB)
If you have any questions or would like further information about the call, please contact:
Enquiries relating to technical aspects of the Je-S form should be addressed to:
Telephone: +44 (0)1793 444164