Latest edition of the Postgraduate Funding Guide
The latest edition of the Postgraduate Funding Guide supports directors, supervisors, nominated contacts and students in the administration of studentships and Doctoral Training Grants.
It covers financial payments, monitoring and evaluation, and all rules, regulations and procedures.
Doctoral training grants
All ESRC-funded studentships are calculated on the following basis, subject to you meeting the full eligibility conditions and depending on the type of award you get.
|Type of funding||Amount|
|Standard maintenance grant||£17,668|
|Research training support grant||£750|
|Overseas fieldwork support||£450|
Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centre for Doctoral Training (CDTs) also receive funding for student and cohort development.
Research training support grants and overseas fieldwork support
The total amount of funding we provide to each DTP and CDT for the Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) and Overseas Fieldwork (OSFW) is based on a fixed amount per student per year.
We encourage DTPs and CDTs to consider the total RTSG and OSFW payments as a resource from which to allocate funds. This will be based on student needs and priorities, as well as on DTP or CDT strategy. We expect that this will secure more funding for individual students.
It is the responsibility of the DTP or CDT to make sure that funds are used responsibly. Each should ensure a process is in place for managing funds that meets the needs of their students.
Students should discuss their needs with their DTP or CDT early in their funding.
Other sources of postgraduate funding
Some other organisations also provide funding for postgraduate students if you are:
- planning to study at an institution outside of the doctoral training network
- are seeking funding for a master’s degree
- are not eligible to be considered for ESRC funding.
These organisations offer funding in specific areas of study:
- Association of MBAs
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- European University Institute
- Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowships
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
These organisations offer funding for overseas students:
- Association of Commonwealth Universities – the Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships Plan provides a network of study opportunities in the UK and Commonwealth
- Entente Cordiale Scholarships – scholarships awarded to postgraduate British and French students to study in the arts, humanities and science in France
- INSEAD – no requirements regarding nationality or residency for these scholarships
- British Council Awards – available for overseas students to study in Britain
- Fulbright Commission – scholarships available for British citizens to study in the USA at postgraduate level or above
- UK Council for International Student Affair (UKCISA)
- Welsh Office Education and Skills Department – grants and awards for overseas non- EU students to study in Britain
- Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowships – no special qualifications needed for British citizens with an individual project in the required categories to be taken overseas.
- Croucher Foundation – offers postgraduate studentships for Hong Kong students studying in the UK
There are also some national awarding organisations: