The NERC Management Board (NMB) is part of a revised governance structure to deliver management of NERC as a commissioner including its national capability requirements through three bodies:
- the NMB
- the National Capability Partners’ Forum
- the NERC Assurance Board.
NMB is responsible for:
- directing the development and implementation of Council’s strategies, policies and decisions
- overall corporate management
- ensuring an effective framework is in place for the identification and management of risks in accordance with NERC’s risk appetite, to ensure it reflects NERC’s overall risk profile and provide challenge on mitigating actions and identify new risks
- effective financial management
- capital decisions, planning and spend
- centre allocations (within a national capability commissioning framework)
- resource decisions not taken elsewhere, by the Science Committee etc.
- developing and maintaining corporate information systems
- ensuring that NERC (within UKRI) is managed according to the required standards of accountability, regularity and propriety, achieving high standards of efficiency, effectiveness, and economy
- ensuring that decisions and recommendations are undertaken with the full consideration and management of health and safety in line with:
- the UKRI health and safety policy
- NERC delivery plan and the NERC responsible business statement (including equality, diversity and inclusion)
- UKRI environmental sustainability
- forming collective views on research centre future strategies, informed by Board observer roles
- cross-centre issues with relevance to more than one centre.
NMB works with other research councils, and other bodies, on scientific and operational or administrative matters where there is benefit in doing so. NMB does not get involved in managing individual business units (such as research centres and central functions), which is the responsibility of the relevant director.
- Alison Robinson – NERC Deputy Executive Chair (Chair)
- Victoria McMyn – Chief Operating Officer
- Caroline Bault – Managing Partner at CounselRock Partners
- Nigel Bird – Director of Major Programmes & SRO Antarctic
- Christine Foster – Chief Operating Officer, The Alan Turing Institute
- Kim Shillinglaw – Media Executive
- Professor Susan Waldron – NERC Director of Research and Skills
- Dr Iain Williams – NERC Director of Strategic Partnerships
- Professor Sir Duncan Wingham – NERC Executive Chair
Meetings in 2022
- 26 January 2022
- 23 March 2022
- 19 May 2022
- 21 July 2022
- 28 September 2022
- 23 November 2022
Minutes and agendas from previous meetings can be found on the National Archives.