New Generation Thinkers is a career development scheme for early career researchers to:
- develop their media skills
- get their research in front of the general public.
The scheme is a partnership between Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the BBC.
If your application is successful, you’ll learn how to communicate research findings to the widest possible audience.
The scheme gives participants the opportunity to:
- create programme ideas with experienced BBC producers at workshops
- work with BBC Radio 3, developing your own programme for the station and a chance to appear regularly on air
- get media training
- take part in speaking engagements
- get involved with the AHRC-funded Being Human Festival.
New Generation Thinkers has run since 2010. Each year 60 applicants are invited to create ideas with the BBC, of which 10 will be chosen as New Generation Thinkers.
- watch a YouTube video telling you more about the scheme
- read about the scheme’s achievements over the first 10 years.
What we’re looking for
How to apply
Applications for 2022 have now closed. We’ll update this page once the next application round opens.
Read the profiles of:
You can also:
- see a list of previous winners
- listen to podcasts from previous winners (takes you to the BBC website)
- read New Generation Thinkers magazine