ESRC large grants carry out ambitious social science-focused research with the potential to generate significant economic or societal impact.
Large grants range in value between £1 million and £2.5 million at full economic cost for up to 5 years. ESRC funds 80% of full economic cost.
ESRC large grants:
- undertake a programme of ambitious and novel research
- show strong commitment for the career development of researchers (particularly at early-career stage)
- make significant contributions to scientific and economic or social impact
- involve potential users of research and include a clear strategy for creating impact that improves outcomes for individuals, society and the economy
- drive interdisciplinary research within and beyond the social sciences
- take advantage of international collaborative or comparative opportunities