Every year, the MRC invests around £850 million of public money in research, the primary output of which is data. We want to maximise the research opportunities that such a diversity, richness and quantity of data provides.
One of the best ways of achieving this is to ensure that data are properly preserved for sharing and informed use beyond the originating research teams.
Contact for more information
- MRC Data Sharing Policy (PDF, 108KB)
- MRC Policy and Guidance on Sharing of Research Data from Population and Patient Studies (PDF, 763KB)
- MRC Policy on Open Research Data from Clinical Trials and Public Health Intervention Studies
- UKRI Data Sharing Principles (including Concordat on Open Research Data)
Guidance for researchers
- Good practice principles for sharing individual participant data from publicly funded clinical trials
- Data Management plans – Guidance for applicant
- Data Management Plan Template (DOC)
- Data Management Plan – FAQs and guidance (PDF, 24KB)
- Data Management Plan – Guidance to reviewers (p.10) (PDF, 753KB)
- UKRI guidance on best practice in the management of research data
- Supporting research data management through grant funding
- MRC Good Research Practice Guidance – Section B – Data: management, integrity, retention and preservation (pp. 9-12) (PDF, 84KB)
Engagement and development
MRC Science Archive
The MRC Science Archive contains historical research data from former MRC units and centres, as well as documents and publications that continue to have scientific or historical value.
Data Access Committee
Access to this data can be requested through application to the independent Data Access Committee for the MRC Science Archive.
More information and an application form can be found here (DOCX, 52KB).
Please contact email@example.com for further information.