The latest updates from UK Research and Innovation can be found below.
Please sign up to our weekly newsletter to keep up to date:
For press enquiries, please contact the UKRI Communications Team on:
Tel: 01793 234136
- 18 July 2018
- UK-Canada collaboration to build on research and innovation strengths
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate the delivery of collaborative, jointly-funded research and innovation programmes.
- 16 July 2018
- Hull of polar research ship RRS Sir David Attenborough launched
The state-of-the-art new polar research ship, RRS Sir David Attenborough, was launched into the River Mersey for the first time on 14 July, marking a major milestone in the preparation of the vessel.
- 09 July 2018
- UK Research and Innovation at ESOF 2018
Leading UK research will be showcased to thousands of delegates as part of Europe’s largest interdisciplinary science meeting this week.
- 06 July 2018
- New scheme for overseas researchers to come to the UK
New ‘UKRI-Science, Research and Academia’ scheme allows non-EEA researchers, scientists and academics to come to the UK for up to two years.
- 05 July 2018
- Carbon discovery has battery promise
A new form of carbon created by scientists at Lancaster University and China's Jilin University could be used to improve the safety, power, charge speed and lifespan of batteries for phones, computers and electric vehicles.
- 03 July 2018
- For the first time, the UK and Germany have joined forces to investigate the impact of climate change on the Arctic Ocean
The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) and Germany's Federal Ministry of Education & Research (BMBF) have jointly invested almost £8 million in 12 new projects to carry out crucial research in one of the most inhospitable regions on the planet.
- 03 July 2018
- Robotic Surgery breakthrough
Professor Sanja Dogramadzi, from Bristol Robotics Laboratory (BRL), University of the West of England, has led the development of a ground-breaking robotic system that enables surgeons to put joint fractures back together using a minimally invasive approach.
- 02 July 2018
- Researchers gain insight into world of TV
Six young academics from across the UK will be taking part in a “TV PhD”, a new collaboration between the The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Edinburgh International Television Festival (ETF) to allow doctoral students to attend the Festival in August 2018.
- 29 June 2018
- Gene-edited pigs are resistant to billion dollar virus, study finds
Scientists have produced pigs that can resist one of the world’s most costly animal diseases, by changing their genetic code.
- 28 June 2018
- First innovation loans offered to businesses improving smart cities and transport
Innovate UK has offered £8 million to 13 businesses developing innovative solutions for the UK’s urban infrastructure, energy and transport challenges.
- 22 June 2018
- UKRI invites Panel College applications for Future Leaders Fellowships
The UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowships will grow the strong supply of talented individuals needed to ensure that UK research and innovation continues to be world leading.
- 21 June 2018
- £900M Future Leaders investment will sustain the UK as global home of research talent
Business Secretary Greg Clark unveiled a major new £900 million investment in the UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowship Scheme.
- 18 June 2018
- Science Minister announces £20 million Plastics Research and Innovation Fund to turn the tide on plastics production
A new £20 million fund that aims to explore new ideas and innovations that can bring changes in the UK’s plastics manufacturing and consumption patterns is announced today by Science Minister, Sam Gyimah.
- 11 June 2018
- New fellowships for exceptional students launched in memory of Professor Stephen Hawking
New fellowships are to be created in mathematics and physics in tribute to Stephen Hawking, the world-leading British scientist.
- 08 June 2018
- Up to £50 million for new Centres of Excellence to deliver 21st Century healthcare - call open
New centres, using digital systems and artificial intelligence (AI), will help diagnose deadly diseases earlier and select the best therapies for patients through precision treatments.
- 07 June 2018
- How wheat can root out the 'take-all' fungus