The latest updates from UK Research and Innovation can be found below.
Please sign up to our weekly newsletter to keep up to date:
For press enquiries, please contact the UKRI Communications Team on:
Tel: 01793 234136
- 03 July 2018
- Robotic Surgery breakthrough
Professor Sanja Dogramadzi, from Bristol Robotics Laboratory (BRL), University of the West of England, has led the development of a ground-breaking robotic system that enables surgeons to put joint fractures back together using a minimally invasive approach.
- 02 July 2018
- Researchers gain insight into world of TV
Six young academics from across the UK will be taking part in a “TV PhD”, a new collaboration between the The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Edinburgh International Television Festival (ETF) to allow doctoral students to attend the Festival in August 2018.
- 29 June 2018
- Gene-edited pigs are resistant to billion dollar virus, study finds
Scientists have produced pigs that can resist one of the world’s most costly animal diseases, by changing their genetic code.
- 28 June 2018
- First innovation loans offered to businesses improving smart cities and transport
Innovate UK has offered £8 million to 13 businesses developing innovative solutions for the UK’s urban infrastructure, energy and transport challenges.
- 22 June 2018
- UKRI invites Panel College applications for Future Leaders Fellowships
The UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowships will grow the strong supply of talented individuals needed to ensure that UK research and innovation continues to be world leading.
- 21 June 2018
- £900M Future Leaders investment will sustain the UK as global home of research talent
Business Secretary Greg Clark unveiled a major new £900 million investment in the UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowship Scheme.
- 18 June 2018
- Science Minister announces £20 million Plastics Research and Innovation Fund to turn the tide on plastics production
A new £20 million fund that aims to explore new ideas and innovations that can bring changes in the UK’s plastics manufacturing and consumption patterns is announced today by Science Minister, Sam Gyimah.
- 11 June 2018
- New fellowships for exceptional students launched in memory of Professor Stephen Hawking
New fellowships are to be created in mathematics and physics in tribute to Stephen Hawking, the world-leading British scientist.
- 08 June 2018
- Up to £50 million for new Centres of Excellence to deliver 21st Century healthcare - call open
New centres, using digital systems and artificial intelligence (AI), will help diagnose deadly diseases earlier and select the best therapies for patients through precision treatments.
- 07 June 2018
- How wheat can root out the 'take-all' fungus
- 06 June 2018
- UK Institute to harness disruptive technology to transform drug discovery
Business Secretary Greg Clark has announced funding for a series of ambitious technology projects that will transform the way medicines are discovered.
- 06 June 2018
- Artificial Intelligence, Centres for Doctoral Training – results of outline call
This investment represents an exciting opportunity for highly multidisciplinary doctoral research training in an area of key importance to the UK.
- 31 May 2018
- Strength in Places Fund call open
UK Research and Innovation’s Strength in Places Fund (SIPF) is an ambitious scheme that will help areas of lower economic activity benefit from the world-class research and innovation capability spread across the UK.
- 24 May 2018
- BBSRC Innovator of the Year 2018 Awards