Principal investigators should submit a document (up to 500 words) providing information on what the repurposed research would achieve, including:
- reference and title of the existing grant
- a description of what activity that was originally planned will not now take place in order to allow this new work to occur
- a description of the approach to be taken and put it in the context of the national response to COVID-19
- an explanation of the level of urgency, and why the activity is important now
- a demonstration that the proposal has the necessary critical mass to make a difference. Where relevant, demonstrate the strength of links to relevant decision makers
- if the research requires any access to the health and care system, describe how you will comply with the newly established DHSC single, national process for prioritisation of COVID-19 research studies
- a letter from the host institution confirming they support the switch in the research programme. This should include confirmation that relevant laboratories and other facilities are open and available for use.
UKRI recognises the importance of all the research we support, and researchers must provide a good case for why their original project should be repurposed.
Please send any requests for repurposing an existing grant to email@example.com.