You must apply using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system.
You can find advice on completing your application in:
We recommend you start your application early.
Your host organisation will also be able to provide advice and guidance.
Submitting your application
Before starting an application, you will need to log in or create an account in Je-S.
All investigators involved in the project need to be registered on Je-S.
Any investigators who do not have a Je-S account must register for one at least seven working days before the funding opportunity deadline.
- Select ‘documents’, then ‘new document’.
- Select ‘call search’.
- To find the opportunity, search for: AstraZeneca Medical Research Council industry partnerships for academic clinicians 2023.
This will populate:
- council: MRC
- document type: fellowship proposal
- scheme: fellowships, FEC
- call/type/mode: AstraZeneca Medical Research Council industry partnerships for academic clinicians 2023
Once you have completed your application, make sure you ‘submit document’.
You can save completed details in Je-S at any time and return to continue your application later.
MRC must receive your application by 9 May 2023 at 4:00pm UK time.
You will not be able to apply after this time. Please leave enough time for your application to pass through your organisation’s Je-S submission route before this date.
You should ensure you are aware of and follow any internal institutional deadlines that may be in place.
Your application must also include the following attachments.
Je-S application form
The following sections must be completed in Je-S:
- project details: please note the start date should be between one and three months after the decision-making meeting
- fellow details
- summary: a plain English summary (to be understood by a non-academic audience) of your current research, and how it aligns with and would be enriched by the partnership. The section is limited to 4,000 characters, including spaces
- technical summary: a more in-depth summary aimed at those who have some knowledge of the area of science involved. The section is limited to 2,000 characters, including spaces and returns
- other support: any funding received in the last three years, including details of the project title, funder, amount, duration and whether the funding has been awarded or is under consideration. Only funding secured by the applicant as principal or co-investigator should be listed
- related proposals: this must include the MRC award if applicable currently funding your salary
- sponsors and supervisors: select your current sponsor or supervisor if applicable
All other Je-S required sections should be marked as ‘N/A’ or ‘No’, as appropriate, and saved to validate.
The summary and technical summary, including your name and institution, will be published on publicly available sites should the project be funded. Please ensure confidential information is not included in these summaries. If you do include information on the use of animals, please be aware that this information will be freely available to all external users.
Case for support
Maximum four pages of A4, addressing the following:
- a summary of your current research and how it aligns with and would be enriched by the partnership
- details of your current and ongoing commitments. For example, progress made to date on your current award and scientific objectives which are outstanding; clinical sessions, details of staff under your supervision etc.
- a summary as to how you anticipate the partnership will be held, including details on the time commitment and how funding streams will be managed (for example, concurrently or the award would start after your current funding end date etc.)
- a summary of the added value of the partnership for example:
- how the partnership will support your personal development and long-term career goals
- the value of the partnership for both parties
You must include details as to how your current research would be managed alongside the partnership and how it is at an appropriate stage to accommodate any pauses or delays arising as a result of the partnership.
You must explain what your current and ongoing commitments are (for example, teaching, clinical sessions, supervision of staff employed on the MRC award) and how these will be managed for the duration of the award.
Where appropriate, figures, tables or diagrams can be included within the case for support.
In addition to the Je-S application and case for support, you will also need to include the following mandatory attachments:
Justification of resources
The justification of resources should not exceed two sides of A4.
Please provide workings and justification for the funds requested. Detail regarding your current salary must be provided.
You should allocate travel and subsistence funds to spend time on-site at AstraZeneca. You will be expected to spend at least 60% of the awarded time on-site at AstraZeneca, Cambridge, UK.
Travel should be costed by the most suitable and economical means at current prices. All train travel should be by standard class and any flights should be at the economy rate. Subsistence should reflect the normal rates applying to the host research organisation.
Additional childcare costs may be requested if the institutional policy is to reimburse them. Childcare costs associated with normal working patterns may not be sought.
Letter of support
A mandatory letter of support (maximum of two sides of A4) from a senior authority within the current host research organisation must summarise:
- how long they have known you
- your suitability for the award
- how they have supported you to date
Curriculum vitae (CV)
You must include an up-to-date CV (maximum of two sides of A4), using the MRC fellowships CV template.
The publication list should highlight relevant and recent publications. MRC welcomes the inclusion of preprints in publication lists (maximum of one side of A4).