The expression of interest deadline has passed. The closing date for the programme is 31 March 2021.
Innovation through insight
Bridging for Innovators (B4I) offers businesses unique access to a suite of high-tech scientific facilities and knowledge to fast-track solutions to industrial challenges.
From start-ups to large corporates, B4I helps companies to overcome product, manufacturing or process performance issues by leveraging more than £2 billion worth of government investment in world-leading science facilities.
Working closely with the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) research and innovation experts, companies can develop projects that address specific innovation challenges to accelerate business productivity.
Taking part in B4I
By taking part in B4I, companies gain:
- in-kind funding for projects aiming to solve product, manufacturing or process issues
- access to STFC’s world-leading science facilities (see scientific capabilities below)
- extensive support from scientific and technical experts with proven track-records of solving complex industrial challenges.
B4I delivers a multidisciplinary approach to challenges, utilising facilities and world-leading expertise in the following areas:
- neutrons: gain unique insights into the properties of materials on the atomic scale to improve efficacy, efficiency and safety
- high performance computing: in the era of industry 4.0, create complete industrial solutions and exploit digital opportunities to transform your business
- particle accelerators: utilise STFC’s expertise in accelerator science to boost your productivity through reduced energy costs and manufacturing times
- x-rays: produce high-resolution data to inform design and development, and reduce time to market
- lasers: address industrial challenges by exploiting state-of-the-art high-intensity lasers, ultra-fast sources and advanced laser microscopy
- space: remain agile in the marketplace by utilising next generation space technologies
- electronics: access the latest research and expertise to fast-track the development of cutting-edge technology
- 3D printing: break down the barriers to product development and reduce time to market through rapid prototyping.
Find out more in the:
- overview and application guidance (PDF, 315KB)
- project application flow diagram (Word, 232KB)
- terms and conditions (PDF, 705KB).
STFC’s world-leading science facilities are located around the UK at Harwell, Daresbury and the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh.
In addition, facilities and expertise can be accessed through regional B4I hubs in the Midlands (University of Birmingham) and South Wales (TWI Technology Centre), providing access to technologies at the University of Swansea, University of Birmingham, Manufacturing Technology Centre and TWI Technology Centre (Wales).
B4I training workshops, ran in collaboration with STFC’s Hartree Centre, provide companies with the opportunity to learn more about the potential of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies to solve industrial challenges and transform business.
From blockchain to chatbots, these workshops will develop capability within UK businesses to utilise and exploit AI technology.
Expert programme partners, including IBM, Unilever and Brunel University London, among others, will provide advice and support to help companies to implement, and benefit from, this next–generation technology.
To find out more about any aspect of B4I, please contact: