This is a rarely awarded emergency route for exceptional circumstances.
The normal route to apply for support for COVID-19 research is through existing standard funding opportunities.
Apply for funding to support short term time-sensitive collection of data or samples or rapid turn-around research or analysis to either:
- inform urgent policy or national decision making
- secure data for future research use.
All activities funded through this route must not overlap with UKRI’s portfolio of funded research.
To apply you must be able to meet strict criteria, including, but not limited to:
- demonstrating how this proposed activity does not overlap with UKRI’s existing portfolio
- demonstrating the time-critical nature of the research or data/sample collection
- demonstrating a clear and rapid route to impact through existing partnerships
- showing how a normal grant timeframe is unsuitable
- justifying why you did not apply through any of the previously available UKRI COVID-19 funding schemes
- having a clear plan to take this research forward including, if necessary, using normal grant routes.
Support can be available for projects lasting 3 to 6 months.
You must be based at a research organisation eligible for UKRI funding. Business-led proposals are not eligible for this funding.
Full applications for funding will only be invited at the discretion of the appropriate research council. Resubmissions of rejected applications are not permitted.