You must apply using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system.
Please ensure that the host organisation and investigators are registered on Je-S well in advance of the submission date, as the verification process can take several weeks.
You can find advice on completing your application in:
We recommend you start your application early.
Your host organisation will also be able to provide advice and guidance.
Submitting your application
Before starting an application, you will need to log in or create an account in Je-S.
All investigators involved in the project need to be registered on Je-S.
Any investigators who do not have a Je-S account must register for one at least 7 working days before the opportunity deadline.
- select ‘documents’, then ‘new document’
- select ‘call search’
- to find the opportunity, search for: CoSTAR Insight and Foresight Unit 30 Mar 2023
This will populate:
- council: AHRC
- document type: standard proposal
- scheme: large grants
- call/type/mode: CoSTAR Insight and Foresight Unit 30 Mar 2023
Once you have completed your application, make sure you ‘submit document’.
You can save completed details in Je-S at any time and return to continue your application later.
AHRC must receive your application by 28 March 2023 at 4:00pm UK time.
You will not be able to apply after this time. Please leave enough time for your proposal to pass through your organisation’s Je-S submission route before this date.
You should ensure you are aware of and follow any internal institutional deadlines that may be in place.
Your application must also include the following attachments.
In addition to completing the relevant sections of the Je-S form, your application must also include the following attachments.
Case for support
6 pages to include your proposal for the provision of an IFU. Upload as ‘case for support’ in Je-S.
Your case for support should set out:
- your overall approach and vision
- response to delivering on the capabilities and objectives
- your expertise and capabilities
- contribution of your proposal to the CoSTAR infrastructure
- additionality of your proposal to existing capabilities
- future sustainability of your proposal beyond, initial infrastructure funding
4 pages plus a 1 page max 2 A4 sides Gantt chart. Upload as ‘workplan’ in Je-S.
- your approach to project management and project management methodology
- the milestones, critical path and delivery schedules from project initiation through to bringing the insight and foresight unit online
- your timelines for build-up of team members and associated resources and your plans for mitigating any critical delays
2 pages plus organisation chart, upload as ‘other attachment’ in Je-S.
How you plan to deliver and manage the IFU.
Your delivery structure should identify the roles and responsibilities of the lead bidder and any core partners.
Your management structure should identify leadership and management roles, full organisational structure, any named individuals, and key senior roles to be recruited for.
2 pages per partner, upload as ‘other attachment’ in Je-S.
If applications include delivery partners, set out the profile, role in your proposal, time and personnel commitment, and resource contribution of each research partner organisation.
We anticipate that you will also need 1 or more industry partners to fulfill the requirements. Each of these should provide a separate partner statement, including costed in-kind contributions and any co-investment. There is no requirement to complete a partner statement for the lead organisation, as the case for support should present all the required information for the lead bidder.
Partner statements must be on headed paper, signed at a senior management level within 6 months of submission.
Data management plan
2 pages, including any diagrams, upload as “Data Management plan” in Je-S
The data management plan should outline the project’s approach to managing data, including:
- how data will be stored, including security and backup
- how data will be shared and accessed outside of the IFU
- any foreseeable legal, ethical or GDPR issues with the holding and sharing of data and proposed mitigations
2 pages, upload as ‘other attachment’ in Je-S.
Set out key risks and proposed mitigations.
Equality, diversity and inclusion and sustainability targets
2 pages, upload as ‘other attachment’ in Je-S
- your approach (and any targets you propose) with respect to equality, diversity and inclusion
- your approach to monitoring (and any targets you propose) for the environmental sustainability of your submission
Additional compulsory attachments
All applications must also include the following:
- justification of resources or financial narrative (maximum 2 A4 sides)
- business case for any equipment costing more than £115,000 (maximum 2 A4 sides)
- CVs of investigators, co-investigators, any named technical specialists or senior staff (maximum 2 A4 sides)
- a letter of support from the head of the lead institution, confirming that the institution will host an IFU, on the institution’s letterhead and dated within 6 months of the funding opportunity deadline (maximum 2 A4 sides)
- a maximum of 5 letters of support from prospective users and customers, setting out the benefits and advantages an IFU would provide, over and above what is currently available. These should also be supplied on letter-headed paper and dated within 6 months of the funding opportunity deadline (maximum 2 A4 sides each)