We are looking to support very early or pre-seed stage ideas for commercial applications that follow on from STFC-funded research.
Our funding will support proof-of-concept research that demonstrates commercial potential to the market and could provide:
- an opportunity for a spin-out or licensing opportunity
- information needed to bid for our other knowledge exchange funding schemes, including the innovation partnership scheme or the challenge-led applied systems programme.
Projects should not exceed £110,000 and should last no longer than 12 months. We will fund 80% of the full economic costs up to a maximum contribution of £88,000.
Funding could be used for:
- scientific and technical development of an idea
- work to secure intellectual property for the host institution
- market research into the opportunities for a new product or process
- identifying potential licensees or opportunities for joint ventures.
You do not need to have industrial partners. However, we do welcome projects with industry, non-government or other academic partners where appropriate.
We do not require you to have funding from elsewhere, but we will look favourably on those applications that do have funding on top of that requested, for example from their host organisation.
See the full guidance for applicants (PDF 349KB).