The Expanding Excellence in England (E3) fund supports small and excellent research units and departments in higher education providers across England to expand and increase their activity where they have potential to grow.
E3 is a competitive grant funding scheme designed to support the strategic growth of small and excellent research units and departments across England.
E3 funding can be used for both resource and capital spend and is open to all approved (fee cap) registered higher education providers (HEPs) and any disciplinary or interdisciplinary field of research.
This programme aligns with Research England’s aim to create and sustain the conditions for a healthy, dynamic, diverse and inclusive research system in the higher education sector.
The aims of the E3 fund are to:
- support the contribution of English universities to our society by pushing the frontiers of human knowledge and delivering transformative economic, environmental, and societal impact
- fund the strategic and sustainable expansion of research capacity across England’s regions. E3 will focus on where distinctive research excellence with the potential for expansion already exists, and where those existing disciplinary or interdisciplinary foci can benefit their local or regional setting at an increased scale
- contribute towards the delivery of government priorities while maintaining the principles of funding excellence wherever it is found, and deliver a research environment that reflects the rich diversity of the UK and cultivates future talent
The E3 fund will:
- build capacity and quality in units where research excellence exists, but at a smaller scale with potential for growth
- diversify the regional spread of research disciplines to support the sustained enhancement of research capacity across England.
- enhance the skills base, build and diversify talent, and bring disciplines together to develop new skillsets and ’future leaders’ in areas of research excellence where there is untapped potential
- reinforce the contribution of HEPs to their region through strategic local partnerships, focusing on sharing resources and infrastructure and generating local impact, backed by robust institutional leadership
- encourage institutions to explore novel or disruptive approaches to fundamental, applied or interdisciplinary research and research practices through a risk-sharing approach