The Medical Research Council (MRC) Impact Prize launched in 2022 to recognise individuals or teams who have made outstanding contributions in medical research. The prize rewards impacts in the following three areas.
Open Science Impact
This prize is open to individuals and teams at any stage in their careers, and is awarded for outstanding contributions to advancing open science in medical research.
Outstanding Team Impact
Open to teams at any stage in their careers, this prize celebrates an inspiring and successful team of individuals whose collaborative team science approach has made an outstanding contribution in medical research.
Early Career Impact
This prize is open to individuals and teams in the early stages of their careers. It recognises early career researchers who have pioneered new approaches to enable and support research and the medical research community.
Nomination opening and closing dates
Employers at higher education institutions (HEIs), independent research organisations (IROs), or other organisations who have previously received or are eligible to receive UK Research and Innovation funding are invited to submit nominations which must be endorsed by a member of the institution’s senior management team, at a minimum level of:
- the Dean or Head of School for HEIs
- the Director or Head of Research for IROs, or equivalent for other organisations
All three prizes are open for nominations from 24 April 2023 for 10 weeks.
Nominations close on 30 June 2023 at 4:00pm UK time.
The MRC Prize Committee will review nominations and select the winning entries for each prize.
Winning entries for each of the three prizes will receive a financial award of up to £20,000 which must be put towards at least one of the following:
- advance or enable wider dissemination of the impact
- furthering the learning and development of the nominee or nominees
Shortlisted entries will be announced in December 2023.
Winners will be announced at a dedicated MRC awards ceremony in spring 2024.
- Nominations open: 24 April 2023
- Nominations close: 30 June 2023
- Scoring phase: August to September 2023
- MRC Prize Committee (decision): November 2023
- Announcement of finalists: December 2023
- MRC Prizes 2023 awards ceremony: spring 2024