In 2016 the former Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) completed a review of its funding in this area. An independent panel of experts, led by Diane Lees CBE, Director-General of the Imperial War Museums, considered how far the submissions demonstrated activity which met the HEFCE policy aims. It made funding recommendations on this basis. The current list of HE museums, galleries and collections that Research England fund are informed by the 2016 review.
This funding will be reviewed by Research England in 2023 to inform funding allocations from academic year 2024 to 2025. The call for submissions opened on 3 May 2023 and closes on 14 September 2023.
The submissions will be considered by an expert review panel chaired by Dr Nick Merriman, Chief Executive and Content Director at the Horniman Museum and Gardens.
- Professor Dinah Birch, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Cultural Engagement, University of Liverpool
- Dr Valerie Johnson, Director of Research and Collections, The National Archives
- Dr Catherine Eagleton, Director of Libraries and Museums, University of St Andrews
- Professor Jane Henderson, Professor of Conservation, Cardiff University
- Dr Alice Stevenson, Associate Professor of Museum Studies, University College London
- Professor Anthony Musson, Head of Research, Historic Royal Palaces
Read the impact assessment for the review of Research England’s Museums, Galleries and Collections Fund.