- have a track record of nationally competitive research and managing their own independent research group
- have clear plans to develop into an internationally recognised leader in the field.
- develop an ambitious research and career development programme with a credible pathway to developing as an international leader
- demonstrate an effective track record of nationally competitive independent research
- demonstrate appropriate national/international collaborations, within/between/across disciplines as required
- describe how their research plans fit into an international context.
Research experience and potential
- have a strong track record of original and productive independent research with impact in the field (for example evidenced by senior author publication(s))
- have success at securing research funding, such as previous intermediate fellowships to establish independence
- have standing/influence within the field and the community
be able to demonstrate a track record of effective management of your own laboratory staff.
- identify and pursue research training opportunities that broaden development, such as time in a second research centre or in industry
- be able to outline how they will use the fellowship to seek opportunities to develop their career, such as through mentoring and management and leadership training or other professional training development.
Applicants should have a track record of identifying and maximising potential in others. For example, through managing and mentoring their own staff and early career researchers, and as primary supervisor of PhD students.
Communication and engagement skills
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills across different audiences, for example academic, public and media
- show how research outcomes will be communicated and disseminated within and outside the research community.
Profile and influence
Applicants should show evidence of advising and influencing the research agenda. For example through development of research standards or guidelines, committee membership, research strategy at the level of their research organisation as well as the national or international level.