The Natural Environment Research Council’s (NERC) strategy, science and funding decisions are built on partnerships. We:
- work with universities and research centres to sustain world-leading research that delivers value and impact for the UK economy and society
- work with business to support UK ambitions for growth, resilience in a changing world and responsible management of the environment
- collaborate with government and civil society to fulfil our role of providing scientific advice to policymakers
- pool resources with other nations to address complex and shared environmental challenges, from sustaining healthy water supplies to understanding the implications of rapid warming in the Arctic.
Policy and business partnerships
We work in partnership with the UK public sector, civil society organisations and industry across all four UK nations. This is to enable world-leading research and innovation that address real-world challenges.
These partnerships enable NERC to:
- maximise policy impact and understanding of world-leading environmental science in providing evidence and information
- enhance environmental research efficiency and coordination
- build and sustain long-term capacity between researchers and policy practitioners to develop, implement and evaluate policy.
Research and Innovation for our Dynamic Environment (RIDE) Forum
The RIDE Forum evolved from the Living With Environmental Change (LWEC) partnership. It is made up of 23 UK public-sector organisations that have a stake in environmental change research, innovation, training and capabilities.
Natural Hazards Partnership
The Natural Hazards Partnership brings together expertise from across the UK’s leading public sector agencies with the aim of drawing upon scientific advice in the preparation, response and review of natural hazards.
Last updated: 21 June 2022