Entry to the NERC Impact Awards 2023 is now closed. Winners were announced at a ceremony at the Natural History Museum on 29 November 2023. Read the impact stories of this year’s winners and finalists in the 2023 awards brochure and view the videos showcasing their work on YouTube.
The NERC Impact Awards 2023 shine a light on the UK science at the heart of the responsible management of our planet.
Research like this saves lives and prevents billions in flood damage through better weather forecasts. It is behind sustainable palm oil that protects wildlife and their habitats. It propels us to recycle our plastics and create new materials that do not harm our oceans. It helps us make the right choices and sets us on the path to net zero.
This is possible thanks to a thriving community of UK environmental scientists. These talented and pioneering researchers reveal the state of our environment and how we can respond.
As part of UKRI, the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) supports people and ideas to achieve impact through collaborative research and innovation. We work with committed partners to ensure environmental research makes a difference.
See videos of previous award winners (YouTube).
What awards are available?
We will make the following awards:
- an overall impact award (£20,000)
- three thematic awards across the areas of economic, societal, and environmental impact. These awards will each be named according to the main area of impact delivered, which may be 1 or several of the impact areas as appropriate. At least one of these awards will recognise impact achieved through public engagement with research (£12,000 each)
- an early career impact award (£12,000)
- four runner-up awards across economic, societal, and environmental impact named according to the main area of impact delivered. At least one runner-up award will recognise impact achieved through public engagement with research (£7,000 each)
- an early career impact runner-up award (£7,000)
The judging panels will also be invited to select additional entries for special commendation.
Impact Awards Ceremony
The winners of the NERC Impact Awards 2023 will be announced at a ceremony on Wednesday 29 November at the iconic Natural History Museum.
The event will bring together leaders and decision-makers from business, government and academia to recognise the diverse talent that delivers impact for our society, economy and environment.
Alex Burch, Director of Public Programmes at the Natural History Museum said:
As a world-class visitor attraction and leading science research centre, the Natural History Museum is thrilled to be hosting this years’ NERC Impact Awards in November, to celebrate innovative research that informs our natural world and recognises the talented individuals who deliver transformational work that will help to create a future where both people and planet thrive.