The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council’s (BBSRC) vision is to advance the frontiers of biology and drive towards a healthy, prosperous and sustainable future.
BBSRC has a unique and central place in supporting the UK’s world-leading position in bioscience. We are an investor in research and training, with the aim of furthering scientific knowledge, to promote economic growth, wealth and job creation and to improve quality of life in the UK and beyond.
In the coming decades bioscience will be central to providing solutions to major challenges, such as:
- feeding 9 billion people sustainably by 2050
- developing renewable ‘low carbon’ sources of energy, transport fuels and chemicals to reduce dependence on fossil fuels
- staying healthier for longer as life spans increase and society ages.
Our vision is structured around three themes that outline key challenges for the years ahead:
Advancing the frontiers of bioscience discovery:
- understanding the rules of life
- transformative technologies
Tackling strategic challenges:
- bioscience for sustainable agriculture and food
- bioscience for renewable resources and clean growth
- bioscience for an integrated understanding of health
Building strong foundations:
- people and talent
- collaboration, partnerships and knowledge exchange.
For further information, please see Forward Look for UK Bioscience.
Strategic Planning, Evidence and Engagement
Last updated: 9 February 2023