Research England is governed and supported by a council of leading experts, helping to shape our strategy and overall approach.
The role of the Council is to:
- Support the executive chair in ensuring the successful operation of Research England, including setting priorities and activities in line with UKRI’s overall strategy, and considering key risks.
- Provide expert advice on the development of Research England’s strategic delivery plan. To monitor, review progress and act as a critical friend.
- Provide strategic advice to UKRI on the research and knowledge exchange system of relevance to Research England.
- Act as ambassadors and advocates for UKRI and Research England.
- David Sweeney – Executive Chair
- Dr Richard Armour – former Secretary-General, University Grants Committee, Hong Kong
- Professor Naren Barfield – Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, Royal College of Art
- Dr Carol Bell – former Managing Director of the Global Oil & Gas Group at the Chase Manhattan Bank
- Kellie Beirne – Director of the Cardiff Capital Region City Deal
- Dr Phil Clare – Deputy Director, Research Services (Knowledge Exchange and Engagement), University of Oxford
- Professor Nandini Das – Professor of Early Modern Literature and Culture, University of Oxford
- Dame Janet Finch – former Vice-Chancellor of Keele University, and Honorary Professor of Sociology, University of Manchester
- Anne-Marie Imafidon MBE – CEO and Creator of non-profit Stemettes
- Professor Cathy Gormley-Heenan – Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and External Affairs)
- Professor Ian Greer FMedSci – President and Vice-Chancellor of Queen’s University Belfast
- Michael G Rees – Founder of Strategic Vitality
- Professor Graeme Reid – Professor of Science and Research Policy, University College London.
Upcoming meeting dates
- Thursday 3 February 2022
- Thursday 28 April 2022
- Thursday 7 July 2022
- Thursday 29 September 2022
- Thursday 24 November 2022.
Last updated: 10 January 2022