The Particle Physics, Astronomy and Nuclear Physics Advisory Panels report to the Science Board. The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) completed a consultation regarding the advisory panels and published the results in December 2011.
STFC agreed to retain the following panels:
- Particle Physics Advisory Panel
- Nuclear Physics Advisory Panel
- Particle Astrophysics Advisory Panel.
It was agreed to establish the following panels:
The panels are tasked to:
- maintain an overview of activities within the area
- develop and maintain a science vision and long-term strategy and road map by assessing the merit of current and future science opportunities
- develop and maintain a technology road map for their area of research
- consult and interact with the community to ensure its views are canvassed and there is an appropriate and effective route for communication with STFC on strategic programmatic issues
- provide advice to the Science Board on specific questions as requested
- liaise with other advisory panels when appropriate.
The remit of the panels includes technology development, theory, high-performance computing and data curation issues in their respective areas.
STFC supports and organises one face-to-face meeting of each panel per year, but panel members are encouraged to organise additional meetings as they feel necessary.
Last updated: 31 March 2022