How we fund studentships

If you want to take up a PhD studentship, you cannot apply directly to UKRI or our research councils. You’ll need to contact the research organisation (normally a university) where you wish to be based.

Find out more about our support for doctoral students.

We offer two types of studentship funding to research organisations (universities and industry partners):

  • standard (sometimes known as ‘responsive’) funding opportunities – open to a wide range of research and approaches within a council’s remit
  • directed funding opportunities – only available for specific priorities the council has identified.

Search funding opportunities.

Find out more about how our councils fund studentships:


Last updated: 15 November 2021

NOTE Council web content is being transitioned to this website – let us know if you have feedback or would like to help us test new developments.