In a New Investigator Research Grant (NIRG) application you may request support for:
- MRC salary contribution commensurate with the time attributed to the NIRG, capped at a maximum of 50% of the applicant’s total contracted working time:
- the amount of time attributed to the NIRG project (and therefore the proportion of salary requested on the grant) must be commensurate with the requirements of the project and will be assessed by peer review
- the salary requested should be in line with the level the RO would provide were the new investigator appointed within the RO’s own pay structure
- the individual’s working time not supported by the NIRG must be underwritten by the research organisation
- the salary for the hours directly attributable to the project of any co-leads
- additional research or technical posts
- consumables and equipment
- travel costs
- data preservation, data sharing and dissemination costs
There is no limit to the funding that can be requested, but requests should be appropriate to the project and sufficiently justified in terms of delivering the objectives of the research in the justification of resources.
Costs for PhD studentships cannot be requested in NIRG applications.
Your application must show 100% of the full economic cost throughout. MRC will fund on the basis of 80% of the full economic cost of your research to your organisation. See further MRC guidance on full economic costing.