Under the NIRG scheme you may request support for:
- MRC salary contribution commensurate with the time attributed to the NIRG, capped at a maximum of 50% of the applicant’s total contracted working time. The amount of time attributed to the NIRG project (and therefore the proportion of salary requested on the grant) must be commensurate with the requirements of the project and will be assessed by peer review. The individual’s working time not supported by the NIRG must be underwritten by the research organisation
- the salary for the hours directly attributable to the project of any co-investigators
- additional research or technical posts
- consumables and equipment
- travel costs
- data preservation, data sharing and dissemination costs.
There is no arbitrary limit to the funding that can be requested under the scheme, but requests should be appropriate to the project and sufficiently justified in terms of delivering the objectives of the research proposal in the justification of resources.
Please note that costs for PhD studentships cannot be requested within NIRGs.
Your proposal must show 100% of the full economic cost throughout. The MRC will fund on the basis of 80% of the full economic cost of your research to your institution. See further details on full economic costing.