Check if you’re eligible for funding - NERC


Research organisation eligibility

Higher education institutions

All UK higher education institutions (HEIs) that receive grant funding from one of the UK higher education funding bodies are eligible to receive funds for research, postgraduate training and associated activities.

These bodies consist of:

  • Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE)
  • Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW)
  • Scottish Funding Council (SFC)
  • Department for Employment & Learning Northern Ireland (DEL).

Research Institutes

Research institutes (RIs), for which research councils have established a long-term involvement as major funder as part of the national research base – and which are listed here – are also eligible to receive research funding.

Independent research organisations and Catapult centres

See the list of eligible independent research organisations (IROs) and Catapult centres.

Public sector research establishments

See the list of eligible public sector research establishments (PSREs).

Last updated: 17 February 2023

This is the website for UKRI: our seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Let us know if you have feedback or would like to help improve our online products and services.