Following the 2008 evaluation of the peer review college, NERC recruited a group of peer review college chairs who have specific responsibility for leading all of the discovery science moderating panels. Chairs normally serve for a term of four years.
The current peer review college chairs are:
- Professor Stuart Bearhop, University of Exeter
- Professor Mark Brandon, Open University
- Professor Jonathan Bull, University of Southampton
- Professor Rob Freckleton, University of Sheffield
- Professor Hayley Fowler, Newcastle University
- Professor Mark Hodson, University of York
- Professor Melanie Leng, NERC British Geological Survey
- Professor Carol Robinson, University of East Anglia
- Professor Paula Stockley, University of Liverpool.