Find the facility or resource you need, both national and international, and check how to use it.
STFC-supported facilities and resources can be used by researchers, businesses and other organisations.
If you’re applying for research funding
You can include STFC-supported facilities and resources in your research proposal if you’re applying for funding from STFC and some other UKRI research councils.
Check the STFC facilities and resources you can use through the:
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
Discuss your research proposal with the facility or service you want to use before submitting your funding application.
You usually need to apply directly to the facility or service, as well as including it in your funding application. The deadlines for applying to STFC-supported facilities are usually every six months.
Also check the funding opportunity and application guidance for what to include in your funding application. You usually need confirmation that you can use the facility or service and a technical statement detailing costs, where appropriate.
If you’re a business
You can contact STFC about using these facilities for research and development:
Daresbury Laboratory, Liverpool City Region
Telephone: 01925 603452
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire
Telephone: 01235 445882
If you’re a start-up or early-stage business
Start-ups, SMEs and research teams in established companies can rent laboratory space and equipment at:
- Daresbury Laboratory’s specialist biology and chemistry facilities, in Cheshire
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory at the Harwell Campus, in Oxfordshire
- Higgs Business Incubation Centre, at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre in Edinburgh
- European Space Agency (ESA) Business Incubation Centre UK
- STFC CERN Business Incubation Centre.
Businesses can use both specialist technical and business support through these facilities.
Contact STFC to discuss your requirements and budget for short-term or long-term rental.
Telephone: 01925 603142
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Telephone: 01235 445439
Higgs Business Incubation Centre
Telephone: 01316 688290
ESA Business Incubation Centre UK
Telephone: 01235 446075
STFC CERN Business Incubation Centre
Telephone: 01925 603142