We’re looking for talented, medically or clinically-qualified professionals who need support to transition to leadership through:
- challenging research plans within MRC’s remit, which provides an ambitious programme of research training
- establishing a track record of internationally competitive research, with clear plans to develop into an internationally recognised leader in the field
- identifying career development opportunities, such as management and leadership training, to enable a step-change in your career
- managing your own independent research group, influencing and supporting others to maximise their potential.
A senior fellowship is not merely a large personal ‘grant’. The awards are for five years and applicants must show a commitment to developing the breadth of their research careers as well as excellence in depth. We recognise that plans for the later stages of a fellowship may be less detailed than those for the earlier years, but applicants should have ambitious and credible ideas for developing themselves as research leaders – scientists with vision and the ability to drive change.
Your proposal must focus on an area of MRC’s scientific remit, ranging from basic studies with relevance to mechanisms of disease, to translational and developmental clinical research.
Science areas include:
- infections and immunity
- molecular and cellular medicine
- population and systems medicine
- neurosciences and mental health
- global health
- public health.
We also welcome proposals for interdisciplinary approaches or research that will address global health issues and be of benefit to those living in low and middle-income countries.
This fellowship scheme provides a competitive salary, giving you the chance to concentrate fully on your research, training and development. You may:
- spend up to six hours a week (pro-rated for part-time fellowships) on other commitments such as teaching, demonstrating and other funded projects
- commit to up to two clinical sessions a week – this rises to four where sessions have direct relevance to your research.
We may allow greater flexibility on the time dedicated to non-fellowship activities (for example, those detailed above or obtaining grant support) during the second half of a fellowship. Email the programme manager – email@example.com – to discuss your plans.
Find out more about MRC’s guidance for research staff development.
The senior clinical fellowship award provides support for up to five years. We expect you to take advantage of the full five years’ funding available.
We expect you to take up your fellowship no more than six months after the date of the review meeting.
The senior clinical fellowship will provide 50% of the cost of your salary. We require host research organisations to contribute the other 50% of the fellow’s salary for the duration of the award, in addition to its usual contribution to the full economic cost. This reflects our expectation of a commitment from research organisations to support talented researchers at this level.
In order to provide flexibility in budget management for host research organisations, the salary contribution can be differentially profiled across the years of the award, provided that the total cost of 50% principal investigator salary is met during the lifetime of the award.
The expectation remains that 100% of the fellow’s contracted working time is focused on their research, training and development.
The fellowship will also provide funding for:
- support for research staff
- consumables expenses
- travel costs
- appropriate capital equipment.
The award will also support a period of research overseas, at a second UK institution or within industry, whichever is most appropriate. We encourage successful applicants to take advantage of the opportunities this will provide to establish collaborative networks and cross-sector development.
There is no limit to the amount of funding you can request under this scheme, but requests must be appropriate to the project and you must be able to justify the amount you need to meet the objectives of your research proposal. Awards are made under the full economic costing framework .
Find out more about what to expect as an MRC fellow.