This funding opportunity takes part in 2 stages:
- submission of an outline proposal
- invited submission of a full proposal, if successful at stage 1
You must apply using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system.
You can find advice on completing your application in:
We recommend you start your application early.
Your host organisation will also be able to provide advice and guidance.
Submitting your application
Before starting an application, you will need to log in or create an account in Je-S.
All investigators involved in the project need to be registered on Je-S.
Any investigators who do not have a Je-S account must register for one at least 7 working days before the opportunity deadline.
When applying select ‘New document’, then:
- council: NERC
- document type: outline proposal
- scheme: NERC outline
- call/type/mode: Large Grant Outline MAR23
We recommend you start your application early. You can save completed details in Je-S at any time and return to continue your application later.
Your host organisation will be able to provide advice and guidance on completing your application.
Your outline proposal should include a case for support (up to 4 sides of A4) comprising:
- objectives and anticipated outputs
- an outline of the research proposed and its international context
- justification for why a large grant is more appropriate than several standard grants
- details of the composition and experience of the research team
- the role of project partners and co-funding (both proposed and secured)
- an outline of your project management and data management plans
- your proposed use of any NERC facilities
- details of equipment you will be requesting
Once you have completed your application, make sure you ‘submit document’.
You can save completed details in Je-S at any time and return to continue your application later.
NERC must receive your application by 9 March 2023 at 4:00pm UK time.
You will not be able to apply after this time. Please leave enough time for your proposal to pass through your organisation’s Je-S submission route before this date.
We encourage you to contact us at an early stage if you have any questions about your eligibility or the application process. We can also give you advice on the best funding route for your proposed research project.
If we accept your outline proposal, we will invite you to submit a full proposal at least 4 months before the closing date.
If successful at the outline stage, you will be invited to submit a full application. We will send you guidance on completing a full application at this next stage on 3 July 2023.
The invited full proposal stage of this opportunity is likely to run on The Funding Service our new funding platform, rather than via Je-S.
The Funding Service has a digital form-based format with sections addressing application questions which are the assessment criteria for the opportunity.