UKRI Board member
Alexandra Jones is a member of the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Board.
Alexandra is the Director General for Science, Innovation and Growth at the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology. The Director General is responsible for the following areas:
- international science and innovation
- UK science, research and innovation
- technology transfer
- technologies and innovative regulation
- life sciences
Alexandra was Director for Science, Research and Innovation at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) from April 2019 to May 2023. Prior to that, she was Director of Industrial Strategy, where she led on the development of the 2017 white paper.
Before joining BEIS, Alexandra was Chief Executive of Centre for Cities, as well as being:
- Chair of the London Stansted Cambridge Consortium and the Fast Growth Cities group
- a Commissioner on both London Finance Commissions and the Cardiff Capital Region Growth Commission
Prior to this she held various director roles working on labour markets, economic development and public service reform.
Last updated: 25 August 2023