BBSRC Council member
Professor Joanna Susan Price is a member of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) Council.
Joanna (Jo) is Emeritus Professor at the Royal Agricultural University, having served as its Vice-Chancellor until 2021. Previously, she was Head of the Veterinary School at Bristol University, and the Department of Basic Sciences at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC), University of London.
From leading a small specialist land-based institution at a time of major change for both the universities and the land-based sector, Jo has a direct interest in the potential role of resilient agriculture in the climate change agenda and the scientific and educational contribution required from universities.
Her current and previous non-executive roles reflect her interest in higher education, the land and animal health and welfare.
She is currently a:
- council member of the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Trustee of the Royal Agricultural Society of England
- panel member for Research Excellence Framework 2021 (units of assessment 6)
- Director of Food and Farming Futures
Previously she has been a:
- board member of UCEA
- Director of Landex (Land Based Colleges Aspiring to Excellence)
- Chair of Gloucestershire LEP’s Agrifood and Rural Business Group
- Trustee of Bristol Zoological Society
She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology.
Having graduated as a veterinary surgeon from Bristol University, Jo spent time in equine and small animal clinical practice before obtaining a PhD degree, as a Wellcome Trust Scholar, from The University of Sheffield.
She was a Wellcome Trust post-doctoral Fellow at UCL and then the RVC before joining the RVC staff.
Period of appointment: 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2025.
Last updated: 25 August 2023